Chelsea Handler shout-out for One Thousand White Women

Posted on March 6, 2014

In the New York Times Book Review, Sun. Mar. 2, in the column “By the Book” the actress/comedian/talk show host Chelsea Handler listed One Thousand White Women as one of her “favorite books of all time,” right next to Anna Karenina (which happens to be one of my favorite books.)  Very nice company to be in!  Thanks, Chelsea. I have a great role for you in the miniseries!

22 Responses to Chelsea Handler shout-out for One Thousand White Women

Rosanne says: March 10, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Hello Mr. Fergus, March 10th, 2014
May I share with you how much I thoroughly enjoyed reading “One Thousand White Women”. I have never read such a wonderful book about our Native Americans here in the US since I last read Ruth Beebe Hill’s book “Hanta Yo” while still in college which was quite some time ago. (I actually still have the book which I treasure; your One Thousand White Women will be on my bookshelf next to it).
You are a magnificent writer. I can’t wait to pick up your other books of fiction which I see are now available.
Thank you for giving us such splendid descriptions of the early US landscape, history and the first people to live in the US. It was such a treasure to read.
I was so sad to have this story end.
All best,
Rosanne LeSage, So. California

Jim Fergus says: March 10, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Hi Rosanne,
I, too, loved “Hanta Yo” when I first read it as a young man, just after college, so we must be roughly contemporaries. That book had a great influence on me as an aspiring writer, as well further spurring my interest in Native Americans. So I am particularly gratified by your very kind words about One Thousand White Women. I think you might also enjoy The Wild Girl, and I hope The Memory of Love although that is a very different kind of novel than my others. In any case, I very much appreciate that you took the time to write me.
All best,

Susan O. Sampson Shafer says: March 10, 2014 at 11:38 pm

Mr. Fergus,
I have very much enjoyed The Wild Girl, and One Thousand White Women. Your detailed, descriptiveness really brings your stories’ to life.
I am generally not a reader of fiction, more nonfiction for years, yet I fully enjoy your tales. Can’t wait to read The Memory of Love. It’s now the catalyst to buy an E reader, which I’ve been resistant to. Keep up the great work, and thank you for the historical facts you employ in your writings.
Yes, memories…..
Susan Olivia Shafer

Jim Fergus says: March 11, 2014 at 12:03 am

Hi Susan,
Just so you know, you don’t need an E reader to read The Memory of Love. It is also available as a paperback. http://www.amazon.com/Memory-Love-Jim-Fergus/dp/1490904867/ref=la_B001H9U1HU_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1384710790&sr=1-9
As a nonfiction reader at heart, I think you’ll find a good deal of accurate historical information in this novel as well.
I’m glad you enjoyed my other novels. Thanks very much for your kind posting of support.
All best,

rosana sam says: June 17, 2014 at 12:11 am

Mr Fergus,
We met last year in Decitre, Grenoble. But, I still wanted to tell you that 1000 White Women is one of my favorite novels. When I read it I couldn’t put it down and my boys (15 and 11) kept on asking me for updates each day and I found myself giving them a day-by-day summary of the book. OTWW is lyrical in the way that you weave fact and fiction, characters and landscapes that whisk you away to another period full of beauty (values too), brutality, and tenderness! You’ve autographed Chrysis and I also have Wild Girl which I will read. I’m really looking forward to watching yor movie on the screen. Please let me know when you come again to Grenoble, it would be an honor de vous accueillir. Rosana

Jim Fergus says: July 16, 2014 at 8:49 am

Hello Rosana,
Yes, I remember you from Grenoble. Sorry to be so slow responding to your post. I’ve been very remiss in updating my website and am going to make every effort to be more interactive in the future. I’m very pleased to hear that you and your boys enjoyed OTWW. Unfortunately, the movie version has been delayed. At present we are back in the early stages of development, as we were unable to come to terms finally with the Lifetime channel for a mini-series based on the novel. I’ll try to keep readers posted regarding any new developments.
Je vous remercie de votre offre de m’accueillir à Grenoble. A très bientôt!

Leslie says: July 6, 2014 at 1:54 pm

I loved your book OTWW so much that now that I am the leader of a book club that I created, I chose your book for out second meeting. Can’t wait to her the ladies reactions.

Jim Fergus says: July 16, 2014 at 8:57 am

Hi Leslie,
Glad you enjoyed my novel. I hope your book club has a lively discussion. Please let me know how it goes!

Carol Stephenson says: July 14, 2014 at 7:41 pm

My friends & I have been reading all kinds of women’s history, both fiction and non- for several years. With that background and that of a lifelong voracious reader, I can truly say that One Thousand White Women is one of the most outstanding and memorable books I’ve ever read. I can’t wait to read your other books. Thanks for the excellent reading experience.

Jim Fergus says: July 16, 2014 at 8:56 am

Hi Carol,
Thank you for your very generous comments regarding OTWW. One of the pitfalls of writing a novel that has been so well received by readers, is that they often have a hard time enjoying successive novels by the same author. So I hope you won’t be disappointed by my other books, which are, inevitably, quite different. Nevertheless, it is very gratifying for me to learn that this one holds a special place in the heart of “a lifelong voracious reader.”

Rhoda Hamburger says: July 29, 2014 at 4:42 pm

We thoroughly enjoyed OTWW. My club has only one question-Since this is “based on an actual historical event”,When was the suggestion made by the indian chief, and to which president?

Jim Fergus says: August 4, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Hi Rhoda, you need to read the author’s note at the beginning of the hardcover and paperback edtions of OTWW, and at the end of the e-book edition. I very specifically answer your questions there. Glad your book club enjoyed the novel.

dawn says: August 4, 2014 at 1:31 pm

I, too, have just finished reading your novel, One Thousand White Women for our book club.You say that this is based on an actual historical event. Was the white women experiment actually true?
Thanks for this great read! I am looking forward to discussing this emotional and well-written story.

Jim Fergus says: August 4, 2014 at 2:24 pm

Dawn, I know that readers rarely read author’s notes, but as as I responded to Rhoda: you need to read the author’s note at the beginning of the hardcover and paperback edtions of OTWW, and at the end of the e-book edition. I very specifically answer your questions there.
I hope your book club has a lively discussion.

Linda Turczan says: August 14, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Hello Jim, Out to the desert of Palm Springs from Pasadena will this happy throng of 11 white women go this weekend. We’ll discuss our fellow one thousand women, and celebrate another year together. This was my choice of book, and I was thrilled to share with them the journals of May Dodd. I know we are going to have a lively discussion about morality, civilized vs uncivilized people, savagery, happiness (as spoken about by Gertie), how to keep a man happy, as outlined on page 33 of the paperback version (!), Gretchen’s delightful “theory” about the pumpkinhead being HER man, and possibly assigning each other squaw names. Additionally, we are going to have a vocabulary match-up quiz because I learned at least 12 new words, and the winner will be receiving a copy of The Memory of Love.
While doing my research this morning, I came upon your website, and I think it’s extremely user-friendly, and I just wanted to let you know all of the above!
Thanks for providing me with one of my top-10 books,
Linda Turczan

Jim Fergus says: August 14, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Hi Linda,
What a great post! Thank you! That sounds like a fun weekend. I very much appreciate your thoughtful remarks about OTWW, and I’m also pleased to hear that you like the new website. I hope your discussion is as lively as you anticipate. Please let me know.
All best,

Amy Lee says: November 27, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Dear Jim,
As a member of a book club, we read your book, One Thousand White Women, quite a few years ago, and it was the only book we have chosen to read twice. At one book club, we asked each member to list their favorite books we have read over the last ten or so years. Eight out of ten chose OTWW. The two who did not chose it, were not in our book club at the time we read it. I enjoyed Wild Child as well and have to secretly admit to you that I head to the letter ” F” any time I am in a bookstore. I am SO excited to read Memory of Love. One more boast of OTWW, I was asked by someone last summer to list my favorite books on a social media site. Needless to say, I am not the only one who listed OTWW. Thank you for sharing your literary talent. I actually sent OTWW to a very famous director years ago, hoping that he could put it in the very loving and caring hands of a talented independent director or producer to create the movie. Never heard back,but then I am not sure it was ever received. I am happy to hear talk of it becoming a mini series, but I realize it is on hold as of late. Please let us know any updates. It would be so interesting to cast! Enjoy your Thanksgiving.

Sincerely,

Amy Lee

Jim Fergus says: November 29, 2014 at 9:46 am

Dear Amy Lee,
Thank you for posting such a generous comment. I’m deeply honored to hear that your book club chose OTWW as their favorite. As I’ve mentioned on this site, The Memory of Love is a very different kind of book in both substance and style, and I know that some readers have been disappointed by it. One of the pitfalls that often follows a successful novel like OTWW, is that readers (and editors) inevitably want an author to write more books of the same genre. Partly as a consequence of this, I have been unable to sell my last two novels to an American publisher (including The Memory of Love, which I self-published in the U.S.) though both have been published very successfully in France.
I appreciate you sending OTWW to a director. The film rights to the novel have now been optioned by 5 different producers/studios over a period of 16 years, and I’ve written numerous drafts of the screenplay for several of them. As you suggest, the most recent miniseries deal fell apart last spring, so we’re back to the drawing board. I’ve always believed that eventually the film will be made, and I just hope it happens while I’m still around! In any case, you and your book club might be happy to learn that I’m currently working on a sequel to OTWW, which will actually be the second installment of what I now plan to be trilogy. In the meantime, if you can talk your club into reading The Memory of Love as a selection, I’d be happy to join you for a phone or Skype chat.
Again, many thanks for your support and your kind post.
All best regards,

Dreux Daniel says: January 26, 2015 at 8:41 am

Bonjour M.Fergus,
Pour mes 70ans,mon fils m’a offert votre livre espacs sauvages’ et je m’en rejouis a l’avance
Car j’ai appris que vous étiez l’auteur de mille femmes blanches que j’ai adore.
Recevez aussi les salutations d’un amoureux delà nature et pêcheur a la mouche.
Merci pour ces emotions

Jim Fergus says: January 28, 2015 at 8:16 am

Bonjour M.Dreux,
Merci de vos mots si aimables. Je suis content que votre fils vous avez offert Espaces Sauvages, et j’espère que le bouquin vous plaît. J’aime toujours d’avoir un message d’un amoureux de la nature et de la pêche à la mouche !
Bien à vous,

Shannnon Phelps says: May 25, 2015 at 2:09 pm

Dear Jim,

Me again!!

When will Marie Blanche be available in the US?
Unfortunately, I cannot speak French:)

Shannon

Jim Fergus says: May 25, 2015 at 3:35 pm

Hi again Shannon,
I need to reedit Marie-Blanche for the American edition, and just haven’t had time to do so. Right now I’m focused on the new novel, so I can’t tell you when I’ll get to that. Thanks for your interest!