2nd volume of the ONE THOUSAND WHITE WOMEN trilogy on the way

Posted on May 1, 2015

I’ve been, as usual, extremely remiss in updating my news. I just wanted to let readers know that I am currently working on a new novel, the 2nd volume of a planned trilogy that follows the thread of ONE THOUSAND WHITE WOMEN.  I’m hoping for publication in the US in 2016. I have a working title for the novel, which I will not yet reveal, but I will keep you posted on the progress and a firm pub date.

86 Responses to 2nd volume of the ONE THOUSAND WHITE WOMEN trilogy on the way

Donna Merkle says: May 1, 2015 at 5:20 pm

Mr. Fergus,

I have thoroughly enjoyed your book, “One Thousand White Women”. I have a habit of collecting books that I want to leave on my bookshelf for my grandchildren. As they get older and see a book the catchs their attention, I have it there to offer to them to read. this book will be one of them. my love is reading came from me browsing my grandparents bookshelves and I want my grandchildren to be able to do the same. When I read on your website that you are making One Thousand White Woman into a trilogy and that you’re working on the second installment, I was more than surprised and very happy. I will be keeping an eye out for the book and as soon as I can find out where it will be sold I will happily purchase all of them.

Jim Fergus says: May 2, 2015 at 6:00 am

Hi Donna,
That’s really a lovely tradition your grandparents began and that you’re following. It’s a charming notion to imagine someone’s grandchildren one day reading my work, and I’m honored to be included on your bookshelf. I’ll let you know when and where the next one is available. Thank you for taking the time to write me.

Shannnon Phelps says: May 25, 2015 at 1:57 pm

Dear Jim

Would you please hurry and get the second book written,I am very impatient!!

Truly, looking forward to it, no matter how long it takes:)

Shannon

Jim Fergus says: May 25, 2015 at 3:29 pm

Hey Shannon, I’m working hard on it and should have more information for you, and a definite pub date in the fairly near future. Will keep you posted! Glad you’re looking forward to it. Thanks!

Jeani says: November 5, 2015 at 2:00 am

a book about the historical and but now horrific borders of Mexico.
The things that are now taking place in…..
the opportunist but now blood solied,
America.

waiting. …..for you to write it.

Jim Fergus says: November 5, 2015 at 11:37 pm

Jeani, I live in southern Arizona about 15 miles from the Mexican border, so I am fairly familiar with this story. However, fictionally it is a little outside my bailiwick. I would encourage you to see the nonfiction work of Charles Bowden, as well as the novel, Crossers, by my friend Philip Caputo, who also lives near the border and has explored this very complicated issue far more than I.

Dianne Klein says: May 28, 2015 at 3:56 am

Our book club is reading One Thousand White Women. Gosh I have so many questions and comments. I am writing knowing I may never get a response, but your book was very evocative. First, I gotta say that I am offended that a man can capture the feelings and actions of a woman. Not always buying it. But, I had some good laughs from your caricatures. How did you capture the dialect of Southern Belle, Irish drawl, and uneducated prairie woman, not to mention Cheyenne Indian? Phonetically it takes a good ear to capture the sounds, and I clearly heard various friends voices — put me in mind of Hemingway. Yes, I loved the spiritual cultures presented. Wasn’t buying the physicality of the women, i.e. skill of riding bareback in, skinning animals, shooting. Brought forth a great appreciation of the Cheyenne Indians and having lived in Sheridan, Wy, I could envision the topography. Thanks for a great read. Dianne

Jim Fergus says: May 28, 2015 at 7:10 pm

Hi Dianne,
I try to answer all posts from visitors to the site. I’m glad you enjoyed OTWW. Not sure how to answer your question about the dialect. I think that fiction writers in general tend to be sensitive to such things, and as I was writing the novel, I heard the voices of those characters in my mind’s ear. I don’t know where they come from…but it’s always nice to be compared to Hemingway. Regarding those things you didn’t buy about the novel, that is completely the prerogative of the individual reader; it’s always a subjective matter. As to the physicality of the women, I would just say that being suddenly immersed in life among the Cheyenne in 1876, one learns some capability in those skills or one perishes. The natives were not patient with malingers, shirkers or sissies. There was no lounging around the tipi eating bonbons and watching The View on TV.
I know that country well around Sheridan, WY and am heading back up that way to do some further research on the 2nd volume of the OTWW trilogy, which I’m writing now. It’s been a while since I’ve been through there, and I need to refresh my memory of the landscape.
Many thanks for taking the time to post your comment.

Stephanie everett says: June 1, 2015 at 3:53 pm

My sister BUYS me books every birthday and I received you OTWW book last year on 06-05. It is now my birthday again and I am sssooo ready for book 2 of the trilogy. I am a retired reading/kindergarten teacher and after teaching reading for many years, I now get to READ. OTWW was wonderful. I live in Oklahoma, the land of the red man……

Jim Fergus says: June 4, 2015 at 9:53 am

Well, happy birthday, Stephanie. I doubt book 2 will be available until after your birthday next year, but it should be on sale by the fall. I’ll know more about my publisher’s schedule fairly soon and will certainly update the blog. I hope your sister buys you a late B-day gift! Oklahoma, yes Indian territory, though not always voluntary. You can read a bit about that in the 2nd volume…

karine says: June 2, 2015 at 7:09 am

J’attends avec beaucoup d’impatience cette suite. Ce second livre, cette “suite” me ravie autant qu’il me fait peur…!?
Et question : n’est-il pas trop difficile pour vous, Miter Fergus, de revenir aux “indiens” après vos derniers romans ?
Merci de votre réponse et au plaisir de vous revoir en France 🙂

Jim Fergus says: June 4, 2015 at 10:11 am

Chère Mlle Karine, mais vous n’avez pas besoin d’avoir peur pour la suite! Même si elle raconte une histoire différente, elle dispose de tous les éléments du premier volume – l’aventure, la romance, le sexe, le chagrin et la rédemption. Il sortira en France en septembre 2016. Pour répondre à votre question: en fait, après une longue pause des Indiens, je l’ai trouvé étonnamment facile et agréable d’être de retour parmi eux. Le roman se deroule bien.
Merci de votre intérêt et je me réjouis de vous revoir en France.

Faye says: June 3, 2015 at 7:50 am

Hello,
I stumbled on your book at target. It was the last one. The front page got my attention then a quick glance of the summary at the back. I read the book in one day THAT IS A RECORD for me. My delema right now is calming down into another book, another writer. Oh boy! How is the 2nd volume going to compare? Make it juicey cause my phemie and Gretchen is dead….my favorites

Jim Fergus says: June 4, 2015 at 10:19 am

Hi Faye,
Of course, the 2nd volume tells a different story, but I feel that it has all the elements of the first – adventure, romance, sex, heartbreak and redemption, not to mention a new cast of lively characters, and the reappearance of a few of the original characters. Without giving anything away, you may be pleasantly surprised. Be patient, fall 2016.

carol hass says: June 24, 2015 at 3:12 pm

I read the OTWW years ago and really loved it. Life went on and I was very busy. Now that I am retired I happened upon the book again, bought it and reread it. I loved it even more. The writing is superb, the characters believable and the descriptions ;of the land and people are so believable that the book unfolds in the reader’s mind like a movie. Any movie plans?

Jim Fergus says: July 2, 2015 at 4:52 am

I’m very pleased to learn you enjoyed the novel again. Stayed tuned for the 2nd book of the trilogy. As to a movie, we have had a great deal of interest in the project over the years, and it has been optioned to several different production companies during that time. However, the stars have not quite lined up yet to make it happen. We are speaking with a new group at the moment. In the film industry, one never knows, but I believe that one day the film will be made. Many thanks for your interest.

Claire says: July 10, 2015 at 5:25 pm

Just finished “One Thousand White Women” and totally absorbed the emotion contained in the journal writing format. I loved and I got attached to the other brides as they all became friends, who held it together as a group. Also, to May’s tentmates, including her little “Horse Boy” I laughed aloud several times in public places as I took the book everywhere I went until I finished it and soaked the last many pages with tears. Every person and detail of their lives as part of the Cheyenne tribe was connected so accurately to all the things they loved, believed and revered and sacrificed for, in order that they all could survive and grow stronger. 14 months seems rather a long time to wait on your publisher’s schedule for the 2nd book in your trilogy. I will change ages twice in that time! Ha! Being patient has never been my strong suit! Maybe I should read “The Wild Girl” while I wait to be “pleasantly surprised”! Fall, 2016

Jim Fergus says: July 15, 2015 at 7:51 am

Hi Claire, so glad you enjoyed OTWW, and I very much appreciate your heartfelt remarks. Although it tells a different story, I hope the 2nd book will contain some of the same elements that attracted you to the first. I can’t blame my publisher for the 14 month delay, as I need first to deliver a completed manuscript, upon which I am presently hard at work.
Thanks for taking the time to post your message.

Kathy K says: July 16, 2015 at 8:23 am

Jim: I loved the book OTWW. My book discussion group asked the following:
How accurately did you research the Cheyenne Indian life experiences and traditions?
How true is the Indian tribe experience?

Jim Fergus says: July 16, 2015 at 1:12 pm

Kathy, I get asked this question all the time. If you consult the Author’s Note at the beginning of all print editions of OTWW, and at the end of the Kindle edition, I think you will find your answer. Sadly, many readers skip the author’s notes!

Margaret Rose says: July 16, 2015 at 12:48 pm

Mssr. Jim-
I was given OTWW as a gift a few months ago. It sat in various areas of my room until recently I reached for it. Recently, serendipitously. After just returning from a family reunion in Oklahoma, la terre de mon père, where I have always been deeply moved by the terrain, the art, and mostly the spirit of the peoples who once lived there. Also, I have been involved in a movement to treat people going thru crisis in a humane and non-judgemental way, having used art-as-healing in many contexts over the decades in different countries. Plus, I’ve been recently in contact with people in Guatemala, who are bringing back to life, and respect, the different Mayan languages. Allors, I am deeply moved by your book, and thank-you profoundly; for writers like you revindicate humanity, love, and understanding. Being bicultural, or multicultural, myself, to you a deepfelt Merci, Miles de Gracias, GRAZIE MILLE, and HAHÓO! Hopefully you will come by Miami sometime soon, for a booksigning. Looking forward to reading Chrysis. A bientôt!

Jim Fergus says: July 21, 2015 at 12:32 pm

Chère Margaret,
I’m very pleased to hear from you, and to learn of your connection to Oklahoma and the spirit of its former residents. It sounds, as well, as if you are involved in important work, and I admire very much your efforts in crisis healing. I don’t know yet what, if any, kind of book tour my publisher will arrange for me upon publication of my next novel in the fall of 2016, but I may well find myself in Miami. As to Chrysis, if you prefer to read the novel in English, it is titled THE MEMORY OF LOVE.
Many thanks for taking the time to write me, and for your very thoughtful words about my work.
Amicalement,

Margaret Rose Allen says: July 16, 2015 at 7:40 pm

Mssr. Fergus, I am in the last pages of OTWW. (I posted a reply earlier today). I have only a few more pages to go, before the story is over. Right now, I am still inside it. It is a part of me now that I’ll never forget. My heart has stopped. I only know that an awesome Spirit prompted you to write this book. Only tears can tell what it can mean to many. Beyond words. Merci.

Jim Fergus says: July 16, 2015 at 7:46 pm

Margaret, yes, I have received both your lovely posts. I’m so pleased that you are moved by my novel, and that you clearly appreciate the emotional context of it. Thank you very much for writing me and sharing your reading experience. I’ve always believed that writers and readers together complete the full circle of a book.

Carolyn Gorin says: August 7, 2015 at 12:27 pm

I read OTWW a few years ago, loved it, now have lost some of my vision and have learned about Audio Books. To my delight, I ordered the audiobook at our library and received it earlier this week. I’m loving it even more, as the reader, Laura Hicks, is superb/ She really brings the characters to life and I’m enjoying OTWW even more. Thanks so much, and I’m waiting impatiently for your next effort. Carol G.

Jim Fergus says: August 11, 2015 at 9:46 am

Hello Carol,
I’m glad you discovered the audio edition of OTWW. I completely agree with you about Laura Hicks’ terrific reading. I listened to it myself some years ago on a long road trip, and it brought the characters back to life for me, as well. I contacted Laura and told her that if ever a film was made of the novel, I’d try to ensure that she had a role. Sadly, that hasn’t happened yet. But I’m going to insist that she gets the audio job for the next book of the trilogy. Thanks so much for taking the time to post your message.
All best to you,

GEORGES BONNETON says: August 11, 2015 at 3:16 am

Bonjour Jim ,

Le chasseur des montagnes françaises que j’étais vient de découvrir les pages de votre ouvrage “Mon Amérique” .
Je ne chasse plus depuis la disparition conjuguée de mon meilleur compagnon de chasse aux coqs de bruyère et aux chamois et de ma chienne Setter mais j’ai retrouvé dans vos lignes ( excellemment traduites !) un esprit de la chasse en général ( et de la peche ! ) ainsi qu’un un humour particulier que bien peu peuvent se targuer de posséder !
Actuellement retraité et résident au Maroc dans cette ville mythique pour les musiciens et les écrivains qu’est Essaouira , j’espère découvrir bientot vos autres ouvrages passés et futur ( Chrysis ).
Si le hasard de vos pas vous amenaient au Maroc n’hésitez pas à me le faire savoir pour le plaisir d’un accueil et de votre rencontre .
Bien à vous ,
Dr G.Bonneton
Douar AIT Yassine
BP 1452
44OOO ESSAOUIRA – MAROC

Jim Fergus says: August 11, 2015 at 10:00 am

Bonjour Georges,

Merci de votre aimable message. Ça me fait grand plaisir de savoir que vous avez apprécié “Mon Amérique”, et qu’il a ramené de merveilleux souvenirs de votre propre vie de chasse.
Je ne connais pas le Maroc, bien que ma fille a passé de temps là-bas, et elle l’adore. Donc, également, je vous remercie de votre invitation généreuse. Je serais ravi de vous rencontrer un jour.
Bien à vous,

Laura says: August 14, 2015 at 8:13 am

Jim,

Hello, I found this site in prepping for my bookclub discussion as I am the leader this evening and your book was chosen as the book to celebrate our 10 years together as a group. I am delighted you are making a trilogy. Our bookclub dinners are often based on the culture or meals from our book. Also, we do not discuss it ahead of time but if moved members sometimes show up dressed in their favorite character. It should be as always, highly entertaining and you will be there is spirit and we will toast you as everyone enjoyed the book.

Thank you for bringing such realistic characters and scenes to light. It was a fascinating read and inspired me to visit the Native American Museum in DC when I was traveling this summer to learn more.

Cheers,

Laura

Jim Fergus says: August 22, 2015 at 12:30 pm

Laura,

That’s cute! I hope you dinner and discussion went well. I’m honored to have my book chosen for your 10-yr celebration. Please let me know how it went. Thanks for posting!

Cheers

Janice says: August 18, 2015 at 10:03 am

I read OTWW and LOVED it!!! The voices were really funny especially in the beginning pages! Great story…I have since read “Wild Girl” and just finished “Memory of Love”.
I must say that you are one of those writers whose books really stay with you (as well as Mary Sharratt and Allyson Richman.)I mostly read historical fiction and I love your first person narratives! So excited to hear that you are making part two of OTWW! Can’t wait to read it. I buy your books in paperback and savior them on my shelves for my kids to read in the future. Delighted that I found you as an author!

Jim Fergus says: August 22, 2015 at 12:33 pm

Janice,

Many thanks for your kind post. I’m glad you enjoy my books, and that they stay with you. I always get very attached to my characters, and hope that translates to the reader.

All best,

Janice says: February 13, 2017 at 3:30 pm

I can’t seem to find the English version of Marie Blanche to purchase? I tried Amazon and BN. I read that English version came out in August 2014. Do you know where I can find it?
I have read all of your other books and can’t wait for Vengeance to come out.(Hardback is coming out on my birthday? 9/12?…must be kismet…:))

Jim Fergus says: February 14, 2017 at 6:02 am

Hi Janice,
I’m afraid that there is no English edition of Marie Blanche. I never succeeded in selling the novel to an American publisher. One day, when I have a bit more time, I’ll re-edit the manuscript and resubmit it. Glad to hear you’re looking forward to Vengeance, and hope it’s a good birthday gift.

becky whitwell says: August 21, 2015 at 7:18 am

thank you for such a wonderful book. I cant wait for the 2nd one. I just finished reading One Thousand White Women for the second time. Being raised in the country on Indian land I was at home with every page I turned. Thank you again for this book

Jim Fergus says: August 22, 2015 at 12:35 pm

Becky,

Thank you for reading my novel…twice…and for your kind words. ! It is always particularly gratifying to hear from readers who know Indian country. I appreciate that you took the time to write me.

Rob says: August 22, 2015 at 3:55 pm

Jim,
Good luck on the follow up to OTWW.
Just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy reading A Hunter’s Road and The Sporting Road again for the umteenth times in prep for the coming season. Hope our paths cross in the field some day.
Sincerely,
Rob

Jim Fergus says: August 22, 2015 at 4:01 pm

Hey Rob, thanks for checking in. Glad you’ve enjoyed those two. As my first published book, A Hunter’s Road still owns a special place in my heart. It was a terrific trip and great fun to write afterwards. I hope you have a great coming season.
All best,

Tanya Motta says: October 21, 2015 at 12:14 am

Just finished OTWW and wanted to thank you for writing such a poignant novel. The incorporation of spirituality in your book brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for the gentle reminder of who we ought to be as we grow in this life. Looking forward to the release of the next book.
Thank you for sharing your talent with all of us. Take care.

Jim Fergus says: October 21, 2015 at 3:18 am

Hello Tanya,
Thank you for your heartfelt post. I very much appreciate hearing that you were moved by OTWW. The only way I know to write is by following my own heart, and I’m always gratified when readers take note of that.
Thank you for taking the time. Peace.

Karen Clark says: November 1, 2015 at 11:40 am

An acquaintance of mine mentioned that they are reading OTWW (and loving it) and it made me wonder if you might have published any more books of late. I’m thrilled to learn that you’re writing a trilogy! I’ve enjoyed both of your books, but OTWW remains one of my all time favorite reads.

Jim Fergus says: November 3, 2015 at 1:31 am

Hi Karen,
I hope you enjoy the next book of the trilogy. The writing of it is alternately fun and inevitably painful to revisit the story and the history. But I think it’s a good tale. Thanks for your post.

Amber Rassel says: November 1, 2015 at 12:47 pm

I just finished reading OTWW and I absolutely loved this book! Hoping maybe a movie is in the future??!

Jim Fergus says: November 3, 2015 at 1:38 am

Hello Amber,
The film rights to OTWW have been optioned to at least 5 different film productions entities over the past 17 years, and I’ve written over 10 drafts of the script. We have a new group currently pursuing the project, and I think this is our best shot yet to actually get it made. But, you know, I’ve learned to be patient about it. Glad you enjoyed the novel, and thanks for taking the time to post your message.

Linda Roy says: November 5, 2015 at 3:37 pm

The incident with the babies hands was one I found quite disturbing and wonder if you had documentation of an actual incident. A most intriquing book by the way.

Jim Fergus says: November 5, 2015 at 11:48 pm

Linda, believe me, that incident is way beyond the limits of my imagination to make up. You can find the documentation in John Bourke’s book “On the Border with Crook.” Bourke participated in the Mackenzie attack upon the Cheyenne and afterwards discovered the bag of Shoshone baby hands. The Army was traveling with Shoshone scouts who when they saw this grizzly “trophy” of war, took up a terrible wailing of grief. The incident is dealt with in some greater depth in the coming 2nd volume of the trilogy.

Sondra Lehman says: November 7, 2015 at 11:31 am

I am the leader of a small bookclub on South Florida of approximately 15 people. We chose your book OTWW for this month’s book. We are all bringing Native American dishes and are sure to have a lively conversation. I found your book to be an amazing story with fascinating characters with so much authenticity that many in my group including myself wondered if it was nonfiction or fiction. Members were calling each other asking their thoughts. I think the forward & epilogue written by her grandson were what made it seem plausible as nonfiction. I have to admit to a little bit of a let down when I learned it was all fiction based only on a “what if” scenario. That does not take a way from my enjoyment of the book only makes me wonder if that was the intent for readers to be unsure. I’d be so pleased to here your thoughts. Thanks again for such an amazing story.

Jim Fergus says: December 9, 2015 at 11:40 am

Hi Sondra,
I’m sorry to be so slow responding to your post. I’ve been out of the country until recently, and have had limited connectivity, which is sometimes a good thing when one is working on a new book. I appreciate your kind words about OTWW. Yes, I confess that I intentionally set the book up to introduce some doubt in the reader’s mind as to whether it was fact or fiction. I did this at least partly so that I could envision the story myself as having really happened. I was a journalist for 20+ years and as this was my first novel, I approached in certain ways as nonfiction. I hope your book club had a lively discussion.

ARLETTE BAZIN says: December 15, 2015 at 7:20 am

Hello,
Enjoyed your first volume so much I gave a copy to several friends. I have a Greek friend who would love to read it so was it translated into Greek? Thank you for writing the way you doand for your reply.

Jim Fergus says: December 15, 2015 at 11:06 am

Salut Arlette,
Merci de votre message. Malheureusement, nous n’avons jamais vendu les droits étrangers de Mille Femmes Blanches en Grèce. Il n’y a donc aucune traduction grecque disponible. Peut-être que si le nouveau volume est un succès, nous serons en mesure d’y publier.
Bien à vous,

Christine Rios says: January 4, 2016 at 3:38 pm

Can you direct me to a copy of MARIE BLANCHE (English edition)? I cannot find it anywhere.

BTW I recently finished reading 1000 WHITE WOMEN and must comment that you seem to be very connected to your feminine side. My husband’s YDNA recently came back as 39% native American and we were very intrigued by the historical context of your book. Historical fiction is my genre of choice and I must compliment you on a mesmerizing story with compassionate and believable characters who make you laugh, cry and take stock of one’s own life.

Jim Fergus says: January 5, 2016 at 7:07 am

Hi Christine,
I’m afraid there is no English edition of MARIE BLANCHE, as I was not able to place it with an American publisher. But that could still happen.

Thanks for your thoughtful comments about OTWW. That’s very interesting about your husband’s native American connection. I’m 90% Scottish/Irish and would love to have a bit of native blood. I hope you will both enjoy the 2nd volume of the trilogy.

Pat Ambrose says: January 5, 2016 at 9:12 pm

I read One a Thousand One White Women when it was first published and loved it. Needless to say, it is one of my favorite books. I work at a library in Wisconsin and cannot tell you how many patrons I have told about this book. It seems like just yesterday I was reading it and can hardly wait for the next book in the trilogy. Thank you for this wonderful book.j

Jim Fergus says: January 5, 2016 at 9:50 pm

Thank you, Pat. I love all those who work in libraries, keeping our public literary traditions alive. I’m honored to hear that you have recommended my novel to your patrons over these years since its original publication. I’d be happy to send your library a signed copy of the next next volume when it is available, which at this point looks like early 2017. I have your email address and will send you contact information so that you can remind me of my offer when the time comes.

Antonette says: January 17, 2016 at 10:28 am

Dear Mr. Fergus,
I will be presenting your book at a book club next week as I too really enjoyed it. As I prepare, I do not have the book in front of me because I loaned it to another person to read. So if you can tell me how you researched for this book I would really appreciate it. Thank you,
Antonette

Jim Fergus says: January 24, 2016 at 11:49 am

Dear Antonette,
Every edition of One Thousand White Women contains an extensive bibliography of source material that I used to research the novel. I’m very busy working on the new book, and the list is far too long for me reproduce here. I’m sorry to be slow responding to your post, and you’ve probably already had your meeting. If so, presumably someone attended who had the book with them, and you were able to look at the bibliography then. If not, I would suggest that you ask the person to whom you loaned the book, to give it back to you so that you can prepare for your presentation.
Many thanks for your interest in my work.

JP says: January 28, 2016 at 5:24 pm

Some authors would move heaven and earth to get published and you prefer to fish than finish the followup novel to 1,000 WW?
Please don’t grow old before you write many more books.
Readers need them as much as we need food and air, so much that is available is pure garbage.

Jim Fergus says: January 28, 2016 at 5:43 pm

Wow, what a presumptuous thing to suggest, JP. I prefer to fish rather than finish my novel? I’ve been working virtually 7 days a week for almost 2 years on this book and have not been fishing even once, although if I had been it would hardly be something that deserves criticism from a reader. Writers, too, are allowed a bit of recreation. And I believe that readers can survive far longer without my work than they can without food and air.

Foucron says: February 2, 2016 at 1:10 am

Bonjour M. Fergus,
Je me plonge depuis quelques temps avec délectation dans la littérature américaine (Rick Bass, Dan O’Brien, Mac Clean…) et fan de nature, de cheval et de pêche, j’ai lu avec beaucoup de plaisir “Mon Amérique”. Merci pour ce témoignage passionnant, ces récits de chasse qui sont autant d’occasions d’admirer la nature et de faire corps avec elle (et qui permet de casser certains préjugés à l’égard des chasseurs).
Merci aussi pour ces récits de pêche et l’humour avec lequel vous relatez les “bévues” des uns et des autres !
Un soir, nous sommes revenus de pêche bredouilles et mon plus jeune garçon était dépité car sa canne était cassée au niveau du sion, suite à une maladresse de sa part. Nous avons pris votre livre et parcouru le chapitre qui raconte comment certains de vos amis ont cassé des sions en claquant une portière de voiture ! Il est reparti avec un meilleur moral et l’envie de lire votre livre !
Je viens de finir “Winter” de Rick Bass et votre “Espaces sauvages” est mon prochain livre de chevet !
Merci pour votre plume, votre amour de la nature, votre modestie et votre humour !
Bon courage pour la rédaction du 2ème tome de “1000 femmes blanches” !
A bientôt.
Audrey (France – vallée de la Loire)

Jim Fergus says: March 4, 2016 at 12:05 pm

Bonjour Audrey,
Je suis tellement désolé de ne pas avoir répondu à votre très gentil message. Je crains que je me suis concentré mon attention de façon si obsessionnelle sur le nouveau roman, que j’ai complètement négligé le site. Même mon français, déjà faible, souffre de désuétude. Mais je tiens à vous assurer que je suis très reconnaissant que vous avez pris le temps de m’écrire, et je suis ravi que vous avez apprécié mes livres.
J’espère que votre fils a été en mesure de remplacer sa canne à pêche cassé ! Je sais par expérience amère qu’un tel événement est toujours une catastrophe.
Bonne pêche !
A bientôt.
Jim (Arizona/Aveyron)

Lisa Snedeker says: March 7, 2016 at 5:31 am

Just read about Book Two…..very excited! I have a book club with fabulous women. We especially enjoyed the feather part. In fact, during my summer girl’s party that year, I had one of my daughter’s dark skinned friend show up in a tank shirt sporting a feather. He rang the doorbell and asked for my friend (who I was having the party for)by name. It was fantastic!.
We often refer to the feather. (Most of the ladies physically reacted while reading that part.) I have decided, when this book comes out, I am going to attend book club with feathers and new underwear for everyone! They will get a big kick out of this! Thanks and keep writing…

Jim Fergus says: March 7, 2016 at 8:18 am

Lisa, your post made me laugh out loud! Thank you! It sounds like you have a very lively book club! And I think you’d better invite me for a Skpye chat at that meeting when the book comes out.

Barbara Kitchen says: March 29, 2016 at 9:48 am

*****
Our Book Club just finished our meeting last night and just an FYI to you….WE ALL LOVED A Thousand White Women and the ladies were all excited to hear about the Trilogy and will keep our eyes on lookout for it. We have had other Authors “Skype” with us, (even some have joined us, in person, after we have read their books and the Authors get some feedback and we get to ask our questions directly. Just checking to see if you would be at all interested in doing this with our Book Club, “The BookWorms”.
Please advise. Thank you, kindly.

Jim Fergus says: April 10, 2016 at 1:20 pm

Hi Barbara. Thanks for your post. I’m glad your club enjoyed the novel. I do sometimes Skype with book clubs, but at the moment, I’m consumed with this new novel and in the homestretch of completion. As a consequence, I have a moratorium at the moment on phone/Skype chats…and pretty much everything else. But please check in with me at a later date, and perhaps I’ll be free.
I appreciate your interest in my work.

Jan Thompson says: April 2, 2016 at 9:26 am

Hi Jim – I have just finished your wonderful book ‘One Thousand White Women’. I found it whilst browsing on Amazon and was intrigued by the blurb. Your story did not disappoint in any way, I loved learning about Native Indian culture and tradition and was thoroughly engrossed with the characters . I’m delighted to learn that you propose a trilogy and that no 2 is on the way. I came to OTWW late, you having published it in 1998, but I won’t come late to the next book – I shall keep my eyes peeled for the publishing date. Thanks for a great read Jim!

Jim Fergus says: April 10, 2016 at 1:26 pm

Hi Jan,
Publication in America of the 2nd volume of the trilogy looks like it will be about this time next year. It will be published in France this September. Thanks for your enthusiastic post. I feel incredibly lucky to work in a profession in which I can give people pleasure, and it’s always tremendously gratifying to hear from satisfied readers.

Tanguy Séverin says: April 10, 2016 at 10:04 am

Bonjour Jim,
Que dire de vos livres qui ont fait de vous un auteur incontournable à mes yeux, un des meilleurs oserai-je (à partir de trois centaines de livres lus alors que j’avoisine seulement 20ans !).
J’ai acheté “Espaces sauvages” en 2014 au Salon du Livre, il aurait fallu de peu pour ne pas le voir et ne jamais connaître vos écrits. Incroyable comme vous avez romancé vos pérégrinations ; un livre qui m’a fait mûrement réfléchir sur la chasse (je vous remercie d’avoir éclairer ma vision sur le sujet).
J’ai continué avec “Milles femmes blanches” et, mince !, jamais un livre ne m’avait autant percuté. Ensuite “La fille sauvage” que j’en suis même venu à lire durant quelques cours à l’université tellement je refusais de le lâcher.
Et je viens de finir hier “Marie-Blanche”, énième consécration de votre talent. Ce dernier est vraiment à part de tout ce que j’ai lu jusqu’à aujourd’hui, mais je n’avais pas hésité à l’acheter, du Jim Fergus ne pouvant être qu’impressionnant, c’était encore le cas.
Je ne sais pas si ce sont les épreuves de votre vie qui ont si bien façonné cette fine plume que vous êtes, mais je tiens à vous faire part de mon respect.
“Mon Amérique”, “Chrysis”, et une suite à “Milles femmes blanches”, c’est rassurant de savoir que plusieurs restes encore à lire, ne vous arrêtez surtout pas de sitôt !
J’espère peut-être vous rencontrer un jour en France

Jim Fergus says: April 19, 2016 at 9:44 am

Salut Tanguy,
Mais ça c’est incroyable que vous avez lu tant de livres à votre âge! Félicitations! Vous me donnez une certaine foi dans votre génération. Je vous remercie de vos paroles aimables au sujet de mon travail. Mon nouveau roman sort en France fin août, et je vais faire un certain nombre d’événements littéraires et dédicaces tout au long de l’automne. Peut-être que nos chemins se croiseront. Je serais ravi de rencontrer un tel lecteur enthousiaste.
Bonne lecture mon ami!

Linda Peacock says: April 17, 2016 at 8:13 am

Dear Mr. Jim,

You have transported me to a different time with OTWW!At first I thought I was reading an authentic journal!! I have recommended this book to so many of my friends and as the host of my next book club members, I am handing out eagle feathers(chuckle) to everyone and plan on a lively book discussion! Looking forward to the 2nd book in the trilogy!

You are amazing!

Linda P.

Jim Fergus says: April 19, 2016 at 9:56 am

Hello Linda,
What a lovely post, thank you. I’m very happy to hear that you enjoyed OTWW, and I appreciate you recommending it to your friends. I think you’ll enjoy the next volume, as well. I hope you have a lively book club discussion, but please tell your club members to be careful with those feathers! They can get you in a lot of trouble…
All best,

Dianne Danko says: April 23, 2016 at 8:43 am

My book club in Canada just read and discussed 1000 White Women. We all enjoyed it thoroughly, and are waiting for the sequel to be available. I for one couldn’t believe how well the white women were treated by the Cheyenne and accepted and protected by them. Then after reading about them as a matrilineal society we felt that they respected women as a people and could better understand them. We have one question. Did they really drug them on their wedding night? That appears to be such a kindness for the women, as they must have been frightened. To me the concept of intermarriage, had it been accepted then, may have solved many of the problems that we have today with aboriginal peoples and possibly all races and cultures. Just a thought.

Jim Fergus says: July 24, 2016 at 2:21 pm

Hi Dianne,
It was only my intention to show that the wedding night was so surreal to the white women, that they felt as if they had been drugged…but they weren’t really. You are quite correct in suggesting that that was not a part of Cheyenne culture. Glad you enjoyed the novel, I’ll have a new post soon regarding the publication date of the next volume. It is as yet undetermined, though the French edition will come out this Sept. 22.
Many thanks for your post.

Jan Manley says: May 24, 2016 at 10:42 am

Hi Jim,
Well I must really live under a rock ( I actually live on a farm) as I just found your book OTWW yesterday afternoon and have almost finished reading it. I read into the night and awoke with it still in my hands this morning. Can I put the blame you for not getting any work accomplished this morning around the farm? Somehow OTWW found its way with me to the barn to check on the twin calves, the chicken coop to let the chickens out and finally on the truck seat beside me as I followed my husband (who was on one of the tractors) to the hay fields. Regardless of how much I want to keep reading this afternoon,(we are home for lunch now) I think I will leave it in the truck so maybe I can rake my hay rows a little straighter instead of trying to rake hay and read at the same time! That will probably be much appreciated by my husband, especially since I have shushed him so many times this morning and since I poured him a cup of milk with a splash of coffee this morning, he is beginning to feel quite jealous.
I do not believe I have ever written to an author before. Especially before I actually finished a book. The best word, at this time, that I can use to describe your book is “Captivating”. I am already dreading finishing it. I am extremely thrilled to know that another is in the works!
I have a collection of books that I will keep forever and pass on to my daughter and hopefully, grandchildren one day. OTWW will be among them. I will be on the hunt for a hardback edition.
Thank you for such a captivating read!
Happy Literary Travels,
Jan

Jim Fergus says: July 24, 2016 at 2:32 pm

Hello Jan.
So pleased to hear that OTWW has made its way to the farm! I’m very much of a country bumpkin myself, and have always loved the rural lifestyle.
It’s good of you to take the time to read, and to write me, especially considering your obviously full workload. I’m glad you enjoyed the novel. I should have a rough publication date for the next volume soon, and will post an update asap.
I’m also honored to know that you’ll keep the book to pass on to your daughter and grandchildren.
Many thanks for your post, and here’s hoping for a good harvest this season.
All best,

Holly Walker says: July 23, 2016 at 11:26 am

Hello Jim, while I am not usually a reader of historical fiction, something about 1000 white women beckoned to me. I have just finished a marathon reading session which broke my heart, made me laugh, and made me anxious for book two in your trilogy. You truly brought this dark period in American history to life for me. I think perhaps it resonated even more given the current state of political events in this country. I would love to be placed on a list to be notified when the new book is available as I fully intend to be among the first to purchase it. Thank you for this gift to your readers.

Jim Fergus says: July 24, 2016 at 2:44 pm

Hi Holly,
It is always gratifying to learn that a reader has been moved by my work…after all, that’s really the end point of writing novels. Although I wrote this book over 16 years ago, as you point out, it does seem to mirror certain rather discouraging social and political movements and events occurring presently in our country.
As to the release of the next volume, as mentioned in response to previous posts, I should have news of a general publication date (sometime in mid-2017, I’m guessing.)
Thanks so much for taking the time to post your message.
All best,

Myrna Kelley says: January 25, 2017 at 1:43 pm

Did they really end up with 1,000 white women for the Native Americans? I thought i read somewhere that it wasn’t nearly that number.

Jim Fergus says: February 14, 2017 at 6:57 am

Hi Myrna,
They didn’t really end up with any white women–even though they asked the government for them. The rest is fiction; I sent the white women to the Cheyenne.

Shane Jones says: February 24, 2017 at 10:05 am

Hi Jim! I have Just finished One Thousand White Women and thoroughly enjoyed it. Our Book Club…The Second Chapter, will be discussing your book at our next meeting, with great anticipation. I think it was a great hit. I was researching for more information to add to our discussion, when I ran across this article that you are writing a trilogy? Is this true? And if so when can we anticipate the next book. I also read that there is a movie in production….is this true? Would make a very good movie.
Thanks
Shane

adminwpa says: April 4, 2017 at 6:49 am

Hi Shane. Many thanks for your post. The next volume of the trilogy, titled The Vengeance of Mothers will be published in America on Sept. 12 by St. Martin’s Press. As to the movie, we have had options with 6 different production entities over the past 20 years, but none have yet come to fruition. There appears to be recent interest from yet another producer to make a TV series of the two books. I hope your book club had a lively discussion.

LeeAnne Bell says: March 5, 2017 at 4:37 pm

Jim,
I really enjoyed this book. Everyone I shared it with, loved it too. I felt so caught up in the story. Very well done. Thank you so much. I look forward to more.
Regards,
lbell

adminwpa says: April 4, 2017 at 7:05 am

Hi LeeAnne,
So glad to know that you enjoyed the book, and many thanks for letting me know. More to come!
All best,

Eleanor Weingartt says: March 26, 2017 at 1:17 pm

Dear Jim,

I am writing you slightly delayed–by several years. I was an avid reader of your book,” 1000 White Women”. So, as a professor of Diversity Education for many years, I passed this wonderful book on… and on… to my students and friends. Some students took a semester to return it, others a week…the results were all the same..the readers loved it and they discussed it in class. Time flies by and my copy –over the years–got pretty “shredded”. I retired recently and being a strong believer in the actual book, instead of e-books, I would love to locate and purchase a “new”, hard-back, signed copy of your book that I can sit and re-read again. Do you have any idea where I could find this? Some companies offer signed but not hardback… I will keep a look-out for your new book as well and purchase it –hopefully signed. Thank you for your help! Eleanor

adminwpa says: April 4, 2017 at 11:53 am

Hello Eleanor,
Original hardcovers of the novel are difficult to find, as we had a small first printing, and an even smaller second printing. Therefore, the first editions, especially those in pristine condition are quite expensive. I have only a few copies myself. There is a book-of-the-month club edition that some online sellers try to pass off as a first edition. It is, at least, a hard cover. I would look on the novel’s page on amazon.com which has a link to used book sellers who have copies for sale. I imagine you can find a hardcover in fair to good, if not “new,” condition at a reasonable price. Please let me know if you have any success. And, if you do, and can send it to me, of course I’d be happy to sign it for you.
All best,